Darwin Plus Local is a new scheme within the existing UK government’s Darwin Plus fund, which funds projects to protect the unique biodiversity and improve resilience to climate change within the UK Overseas Territories (UKOTs).
Darwin Plus Local has been introduced to support small scale environmental projects exclusively in the UKOTs, with the aim of building capacity in-territory and contributing to local economies.
Applications to Round 3 of Darwin Plus Local are now closed.
The latest application Round opened on Monday 16th October 2023.
Applications to Darwin Plus Local is a single stage process.
- Deadline for applications: Monday 29th November 2023.
For the fourth round, Darwin Plus Local provides grants of up to £50,000 for organisations, and £20,000 for individuals.
Darwin Plus Local Round 4:
- Scheduled to open in April 2024 (subject to change and confirmation).
- Projects must last up to 6-months.
- The expected start date for successful projects is from 1st October 2024.
- All funding must be spent by 31st March 2025.
See below for a recording of a pre-application training session.
Before applying you should first read:
- D+ Local Guidance for Applicants (with particular focus on the eligibility criteria)
- Terms and Conditions for the fund (we have also prepared a summary document of key Terms and Conditions for Darwin Plus Local projects)
- D+ Local Finance Guidance
- Flexi-Grant Guidance
How to Apply
Once you have read the guidance, complete the Darwin Plus Local application form on the Flexi-Grant application portal. We recommend reviewing each page of the application form to familiarise yourself with the questions before starting. For drafting purposes, you may find the Word version of the application form below useful.
Please note that you will need to complete and submit the "Local Workplan template" below in addition to application form.
There is also a Frequently Asked Questions document based on consultation with UKOT stakeholders.
For enquiries on Darwin Plus Local, please contact DarwinPlusLocal@jncc.gov.uk.
For enquiries about the Darwin Plus programme, please contact: BCF-DPLUS@niras.com.
Pre-Application Training Session
On Wednesday 24 May at 2pm UK time, we ran a training webinar to support applicants. The training session provided an overview of the application process and application guidance as well as provide potential applicants with opportunities to answer any questions you may have about the process.
You can watch a recording of the session via the following link: Darwin Plus Local Training Session.
Future Application Rounds
Please note the different project implementation windows between the Rounds.
- In Round 2, we accepted applications for projects that will be implemented between October 2023 to March 2024 (6-month maximum duration)
- In Round 3, we accepted applications for projects that will be implemented between April 2024 to March 2025 (12-month maximum duration)
- Round 3 opened for applications: Monday 16 October 2023
- Round 3 application deadline: Wednesday 29 November 2023
- The expected start date for successful projects is from 1 April 2024
- All funding must be spent by 31 March 2025
- In Round 4, we will accept applications for projects that will be implemented from October 2024 to March 2025 (6-month maximum duration)
- Scheduled to open in April 2024 (subject to change and confirmation)
For further queries, see our general Frequently Asked Questions.